This is the simple pancake recipe to make soft fluffy pancakes at home or anywhere. We have listed you everything regarding pancakes from ingredients, steps, frequently asked questions and methods of making them from start to soft fluffy and delicious pancakes.
A pancake is a flat cake, often thin and round, prepared from a starch-based batter that may contain eggs, milk and butter and cooked on a hot surface such as a griddle or frying pan, often frying with oil or butter. Wikipedia
Pancake ingredients and their uses
- 1 cup all-purpose flour: Use all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour or a combination of the two. For gluten-free pancakes
- 2 tablespoon of white sugar: Sugar adds taste to your pancakes
- 1 teaspoon of salt: salt in pancakes balances the sugar nicely and brings out lots of flavor in the pancakes. If you are using salted butter, consider reducing the salt to 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt is also preferred in making pancakes
- 1 egg beaten: The egg in pancakes adds structure, flavor, and fluffiness to the pancake although you can bake pancakes without eggs.
- 1 cup milk: instead of milk you can also use orange juice in place of the milk and it works nicely.
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil: if you need a plant-based option for your pancakes, melted coconut oil or melted plant-based butter works
- Baking powder: the purpose of baking powder that makes these pancakes light and fluffy.
Step by step or directions
- Whisk dry ingredients together- Mix the dry and wet ingredients separately at first then combine just before cooking your pancakes. You can mix the dry ingredients as much as you want and do the same for the wet ingredients, but when the two mixtures come together, use a light touch. Over-mixing the batter is a common mistake — it makes them heavy and flat, not fluffy.
- Melt butter and warm milk you can do this by using a microwave
- Whisk wet ingredients together as much as you prefer
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients but do not over mix
- Cook on a hot buttered skillet: Pancakes really need to be cooked at medium heat. For griddles with a temperature setting, the optimum temperature is 375°F. If you cook the pancakes at too low a heat, then they will turn out too tough
- Enjoy your pancakes!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ON PANCAKE RECIPES
What are the essential pancake making tools?
- Nonstick Skillet.
- Spatula or spoon.
- Mixing Bowls.
- Cast Iron Skillet.
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Cooking pan
The most important ingredient for making pancakes
The most important is Flour is the main ingredient to any pancake. It provides the structure. Different types of flours alter the structure because some flours absorb more moisture or create more gluten (which binds the structure together) than others. Liquid combines with the flour to establish the type of structure being made.
What make pancakes flat?
A flat pancake could be the result of an overly-wet batter. The batter should be thick enough that it drips rather than runs off the spoon and also remember, it should have some lumps still in it. If a little flour doesn’t fix the issue, there could be an issue with the baking powder.
What makes pancakes heavy?
If you wind up using too many eggs in your pancake recipe, then you could have the pancakes turn out very dense. Having more eggs than you need in a recipe such as this will alter the consistency of the pancakes and make them so that they are way thicker than they should be